THE EFFECT OF INADEQUATE HUMAN RESOURCES ON THE PERFORMANCE OF GOVERNMENT ESTABLISHMENTS.(A CASE STUDY OF MINISTRY OF FINANCE, GHANA)
Majority of people with particular reference to the elite will be wondering why the inadequate human resources on the performance of government establishments. A research supply will sound like asking an obvious question what are the causes of the inadequate human resources on the performance of government establishments. Given some answers to the above question I will start by first emphasizing the importance of human resources in every economy. Trended French described human resources as consisting of all individuals who are engaged in any of the organizational activities regardless of their level.
Human resources from above mean men and women working for an organization irrespective of the post they are holding. However, this went further to emphasize that there was no demarcation for men and women working for the organization that does not belong to human resources of the organization. Therefore, the human resources of the government establishment e.g. ministry ranges from the commissioner down to the messengers.
Meanwhile, all activities in the organization depend on human resources either public or private organization. Therefore, any establishment aiming at achieving its goal must ensure not only maintaining constant and adequate supply of human resources but also ensuring that they are adequately motivated.
From the above, we can clearly understand that the goals of the establishment cannot be achieved only by providing and ensuring adequate supply of human resources. This is because the human resources that are not motivated will not be answering human resources of the establishment without giving their best.
Perhaps, commendations must be made to the University of Nigeria, Nsukka for making Industrial Training as one of the requirements for the Award of Diploma Certificate in the institution.
This was because during my sister’s industrial attachment work with the board of Internal Revenue Enugu. That the effect of inadequate human resources on the performance of Government establishments was identified. I was always visiting her at the office on daily bases and I shared her experiences. Then the identified problem was taken to Caritas University Enugu to be approved for further research (BSc. Project). This was how the research topic came about.
Moreover, some of us are not opportune to go into some establishments being it private or government establishments but may doubt that there are no inadequacy in human resources on the performance of government establishments. This research topic was chosen out of practical experience.
This was because my information handled a competent schedule of duty, which my sister was supposed not to do as a student.
Furthermore, surprise came upon her when she was asked to cover the schedule of two (2) persons at a time which was due to inadequate human resources on the establishment, from the above mentioned reasons, the aims of finding some ways of minimizing the effect of inadequate human resources on the performance of government establishment and possibly to make suggestions on how to eliminate the problem of inadequate human resources confronting government establishments.
Finally, this research will therefore, be a contribution towards finding some of the causes and effects of inadequate human resources on the performance of government establishments. Also, some suggestions will be made on how best to remedy the problem.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
The scope of this research project was to identify the effect of inadequate human resources on the performance of government establishments. What are existing problems? As the case therefore, some of the problems to be observed in the establishments such as;
· Poor Management
· Lack of adequate remuneration
· Lack of training/motivation
· Miss appropriation and diversion of fun.
· Lack of proper perception of the government vision and mission by the administrators., rigid government policy
· None employment of professionals
· Too much to do and little time to do it.
· Findings the human resources strength of the government establishment in Enugu state, with particular reference to the ministry of finance and Economic planning, Enugu.
· Finding some causes and the effect of inadequate human resources in the ministry.
· Finding out how and who are supposed to build up the human resources of the government establishment.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE SUTDY
Smith and Brown were of the opinion that goal setting as at the heart of the performance appraisal process of organization gives meaning and relevance to appraisal and development activities. The objectives of this research will be as follows:
a. Letting government to know that the human resources performance in Enugu State is inadequate. Therefore when the government Department concerned got informed, the objective of this study will be achieved. This effect will be that they will make immediate arrangement to recruit more people in the ministry.
b. To identify the levels in which the inadequacies were existing. This will enable the government department concerned to know exactly the levels where their recruitment/promotion exercise will focus for quicker action.
c. Finally, to identify how to tackle the poor management lack of training and who is supposed to build up the government human resources inadequate. Government as referred above is every body. Therefore, effort needs to be made to identify. The segment of government that is vested with the task.
The effects of identifying how and who will advice government on some of the causes and effects of inadequate human resources on the performance of government establishments. This was because it is only when the causes of a particular problem are identified that some remedial solutions should be embarking on:
· Immediate recruitment of more human resources.
· Workers should enjoy remuneration employment of qualified staff.
· Promotion should be done when due constant training and development of Civil Servant while in Service in other to Corp with their job.
· Establishing of an assessment centres.
· Government should pass good legislature favouring the employees. In other to have better form of mind to enhance productivity as well as efficiency.
Finally if all these been looked into it will improve the inadequate human resources performance in government establishments because objective is not only to identify problems, but it is aimed at finding solutions to them.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY:
According to this research work, it will be of benefit to the government establishments in the following ways:
The significance of the effect of inadequate human resources on the performance of government establishment.
It will cover the followings:
· The findings of the study stand as a source of ready information from the establishment.
· Recommendation would be a source of information to various organizations on their effort to improve on their human resources performance.
· To rebrand inadequate human resources in other to enhance their attitudinal change in exercising their duties in government establishments. The cause of this unemployment in Nigeria includes mismanagement of available of human resources. Even though there was employment, still we still experience inadequacies in human resources due to the people employed are not qualified to take up the Job because they were employed on the bases of godfathers.
· However, some authors were of opinion that the reasons for inadequate performance in Government establishments were because those employed are lacking the skills needed.
When this research identifies the level of were the inadequacy shortages are existing, we can advise the government. The advice the government to start recruiting more human resources and looking into numerous problem confronting the civil servants like:
· Lack of motivation
· Low salary
· No housing scheme and scholarship award. For civil servant children.
· Rigid government policy on civil servant.
· No health insurance. Then the result will be eliminating the effect of inadequate human resources in government establishments.
· Minimizing the inadequacies and the suffering of the little employees already in service, the result will be that the duties formerly undertaken by only one employee will then be shared among other employees to reduce cumbersome work load.
Finally, is getting government useful information and guide in the area of utilizing its human resources in the best possible ways. Leonard R. Sayless and George Syrauss said that management must provide orderly pathways down ward as well as up ward and seek to minimize the personnel and organizational disruption associated with cut back in employment. That is, disruption in any organizational activity will be completely eliminated when government starts managing her human resources which include: planning, organizing, staffing, coordinating, directing, reporting and budgeting for her human resources.
These are things to find out:
· What are the ractionel behind ineffectiveness and the experience in those government establishments over the years?
· What aspect of the resources are you to diagnose in the cause of this research.
· What can you say is the effect (problem) identifiable in this establishment?
· What are the penacial cares, remedy or solutions to the problems?
· What are your tentative or sub-mission in this regard.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1. Does poor financial incentive contribute to inadequate human resources performance?
2. What is the major cause of the inadequacy?
3. In what level do you think these inadequacies?
4. In what area do these inadequate have effect?
5. What prevent government from employing more human resources?
6. What then should government to increase her human resources?
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope is to look into the effect of inadequate human resources in respect of the performance of government establishment in Enugu.
The sources of human resources as well as causes effect and solution to inadequate human resources and on the performance of government establishment and also to give recommendation and suggest remedies to the poor performance of Enugu state government with particular reference to ministry of finance.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The research is focused on the effect of inadequate resources on the performance of government establishments (Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning Enugu). Due to certain problems that emanated from experience encountered insufficient data, high cost of transportation, difficulties in getting exeat permit from the school authority.
a. Lack of Information: success of research depends on the availability of information or data. In this research because of the bureaucracy in the government establishments, their officials at times refuse to release certain information this contributed in limiting the scope of the research work.
b. Finance: Covering the whole 5 departments of the ministry would have given more understanding of the topic. But due to lack of finance it was limited to (2) two departments the personnel and statistics Departments.
c. Time also stood as constraints to the researcher in traveling to other ministries but it was limited to only to departments in Enugu state.
1.7 DEFINATION OF TERMS:
Floppo (1986:10) defined human resources as the planning organizing directing and controlling of the procurement development compensation, integration and maintenance of people for the purpose of contributing to the organizational goals.
The word effectiveness, efficiency is the means that some one or something being in a state well without waste it is the ability to apply the best methods and principles in the doing of a thing or reaching a decision it is the ability to follow the best and shortest route to a destination.
Efficiency can be defined as fitness or power to accomplish or success in accomplishing the purpose intended by oxford dictionary.
According to the same dictionary effectiveness is the ability or power to have noticeable or desired effect. Maurice Odo defined it as a effect of the means employed.
R.B.N. Owele in a class lecture “says that effectiveness relate to production output which are intended to yield desired output from these definition the researcher regards effectiveness as the extends to which achievement has been made of set objectives
The oxford advanced learner dictionary says that to be effective means to have a noticeable or desired effect it means to produce desired result.
Dr. Maurice Odo says that efficiency is the means to end. He wants further to say that specific issue with the intention of achieving the set down goals.
Manpower can be defined as the number of workers needed or available to do or perform a particular job at any period of time.
Motivation has been defined as the inner drive that causes one to act or person inner state that energies sustain and direct behavior to satisfy a person’s needs (Milkovich and Glueck 1995)
According to Donald (1992), motivation is the act of stimulating someone to action by creating state environment in which their motivation can be unleashed and through providing a reason or incentive for people to produce more therefore employee motivation can cause one to abandon one’s goal for the goal of an organization motivation is the key factor that gingers or energies an individual or group of individuals towards the achievement of any pre-stage goals.
To train as according to Oxford advanced learner dictionary is to give teaching and practice in order to bring to a desired stand and behavior efficiency or physical condition, training therefore is the act of teaching in the industrial or business concept. It is the act of level of the expectations of their employer.
The sources of human resources in government establishments and as well as problem associated to inadequate human resources and to give some recommendation and suggest solution to the performance of Enugu state government with a particular reference to the ministry of finance.
Post Views: 0