THE USE OF COMPUTER IN RECORDING ACCOUNTING INFORMATION, PROBLEM AND PROSPECTS(A CASE STUDY OF BENDEL FEEDS AND FLOUR MILL, EWU, EDO STATE)
This research work is aimed at ascertaining the various roles played by using computer in recording accounting informationi problems and prospects in the modern business world using Bendel feed and flour mill, Ewu, Edo state as a case study.The importance of using computer in recording accounting informationi will be apparent when considering the fact from the data that is gathered in the course of this work, from the related literature as well as, from interviews and discussions. Also questionnaire were distributed equally and collected which yielded or revealed that the use of computer in recording accounting informationi [played a positive role in initiating computer use in the modern business world.The information supplied by the Chief accountant in Bendel feed and flour mill Ewu, Edo state contributed to the success of the exercise. The statistical analysis that used in the study includes the hypothesis testing in which the questionnaire is analyzed under their related hypothesis and the use of chi-square test of homogeneity.It will also be discovered that it is important among other groups of professionals needed for this implementation of the exercise. Therefore, they formed the pillar on which any successful establishment rests upon. Based on the findings, it was recommended that the use of computer in recording accounting informationi should be give a free hand in implementation exercise in order to enhance the importance of the use of computer in recoding accounting informationi.
The research work on the topic, "The use of computer in recording accounting information problems and prospects is aimed at making individuals, firms and government aware of the importance and necessities that are attached to the use of computer in recording information in this modern world.To bring this project to execution, I shall review this topic by sourcing data from related literatures such as journals, magazines, new papers and periodical. Base on this, I shall go to libraries and other various places where these literatures will be found or located. In addition, personal interview will be carried out and questionnaires will be structured which will be distributed to respondents. This is to enable me get direct information about the role computer is playing in recording accounting information.In connection with, this hypothesis will be raised and this will be tested through the use of chi-square for efficient proof. For easy understanding by the readers, I shall present the data collected, by the use of tables, graphs charts and other method of presenting data.In view of the procedures listed above to be followed in this research work I am anticipating that there will be difficulties that I going to encounter, which will be a bottle, neck in the course of this work. These problems includes:
- Availability time to enable me finish the project before August or September.
- Inadequate finance to buy materials needed and reaching places of importance.
- The loaded academic work coupled with school activities.
- Lack of cooperation from the respondents which may bring about wrong information.
- However, I have decided to embark on this project work due to the reluctant attitude individuals and firms are paying to use computer in accounting records. Therefore, I shall make recommendations on my findings in the course of this work to enable them know the necessity, accuracy and efficiency that will benefited from the use of computer in book-keeping.
TABLE OF CONTENT
1.1 OBJECTIVE OF STUDY
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
1.3 PURPOSE OF STUDY
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
1.7 SCOPE, LIMITATIONS AND DELIMITATION
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
2.1 HISTORY OF COMPUTER/DEFINITION
2.2 COMPARISON OF MANUAL AND COMPUTER INFORMATION PROCESSING
2.3 ELECTRONIC DATA COLLECTION (EDP)
2.4 DATA INPUT/OUTPUT AND THE MEDIA SYSTEM
2.5 PARTS/ELEMENTS OF A COMPUTER
2.6 OPERATING TECHNIQUES
2.7 AREAS OF COMPUTER APPLICATION
2.8 LIMITATION OF THE USE AND COMPUTER
2.9 THE ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE OF A DATA PROCESSING DEPARTMENT.
RESEARCH DISGN AND METHODOLOGY
3.2 SAMPLE SIZE
3.3 LOCATION OF DATA
3.4 INSTRUMENT OF DATA COLLECTION
3.5 METHODS OF DATA PRESENTATION
3.6 METHOD OF DATA ANALYSIS
PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS OF DATA
4.1 HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF THE COMPANY OF CASE STUDY
4.2 ANALYSIS OF DATA
4.3 RETURNED AND UNRETURNED QUESTIONNAIRE
4.4 ANALYSIS OF RESPONSES
4.5 PERSONAL INTERVIEW ANALYSIS
4.6 TEST OF HYPOTHESIS AND PROOF
SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS
5.3 OTHERS SEGMENTS
In this present world, individual, business men, firms and government have seen the effects of computer in the area of recording and safe keeping of information,.
However, this computer cannot function unless the day-to-day business activities are well documented and fed into it properly.
Every business get up has different levels of management and each of these level of management and information to enable them make decision on how he objective of the organization can be achieved likewise, the government need of computer networking can never be over-emphasis in the sense that, every government departments, ministries and parastatals are computerized.
This project is designed to cover every aspect of computer roles in recording accounting information for management use. Unlike the stone age when computer has not been in existence, people were getting information from inscriptions on stones and carvings in wood. All these information are soon forgotten because there was no special method designed to preserve then.
In Nigeria before the advent of computer, nearly al clerical works are, done by paper and pen. This gives rise to
- Mismanagement of stationeries.
- Errors and omissions in accounting enterprises
- Monotonous work and tiredness and other, associated clerical problems. But since the introduction of computer, these problems are minimized. Therefore, the use of computer in recording accounting information in this modern world cannot be over sighted. In the past, recording, filing and safekeeping of information was known as "routine clerical work” but with the advent of sophisticated, electronic business machines it is now known as "data processing”.
Today, no business can survive without the use of computer especially, in recording accounting information. It is on this ground that this project is carried out to make people; businesses, finance and government know the roles that a computer is playing in keeping accounting records.
1.1 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This research work on "The use of computer in recording accounting information, problems and prospects” is to investigate or require for the following:
- To know a brief history of computer
- To understand some important components of the computer
- To know the uses and importance of computer in keeping accounting records.
- To understand some of the problems that are associated with the use of computer.
- Knowing the advantages and disadvantages in using computer to record accounting information.
- To create awareness on the use of computer in business.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEMS
"Garbage in garbage out” is a general phenomenon in computer. Electronic computer has no self-judgment and as such devoid of human errors. It is what you feed into the computer (input) that it gives out (output). For example, if one feeds in wrong data into the computer, no matter how efficient the programming may be wrong output will be the out come because the computer has been mislead.
In addition, computer has its own language and all data are [programmed and written in this special language. There fore, it required a lot of training without which computer will not make any meaning to the users.
Furthermore, computer does not function effectively in a hot environment, for this reason it requires huge amount in installing air-conditions to enhance efficiency.
Finally, small businesses cannot afford computer because it is costly to buy and maintain. This constitutes a bottleneck in getting correct information and as such, the small businesses cannot thrive in the present of the big ones.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to conduct an indebt study in the problems and prospects that is faced with the use of computer in recording accounting information. Moreover, individuals, businessmen, firms and government are not fully aware about the uses of computer, it is design to create this awareness.
Another reason why this research work is embarked on is to answer a lot at questions that are raised by users and non-users of computer in book-keeping.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The following are some of the questions the researcher would like to find answer to in order for him to carry out the project effectively:
- What made individuals, firms and government adopt computer system?
- What has been the effect of the use of computer on old and new staff?
- Routine clerical work” and "Data processing” which is more economical?
- What improvement has computer made to the general accounting system in the counting?
- What are the problems that generate from the use of computer?
- What are needed to make computer use effective?
- What effect has the use of computer in the labour market.
- In modern accounting, can computer be left out in recording information?
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
The following hypothesis shall be treated in the coursed of carrying out this research work:
- HO: There is no significant relationship between the electronic data processing approach and the manual system approach.
Hi: There is significant relationship between the electronic data processing approach and the manual system approach.
- HO: Computer has no positive effect in recording accounting information.
Hi: Computer has positive effect in recording accounting information.
- HO: Information from the computer is not always correct.
Hi: Information from the computer is always correct.
- HO: Not all employees have access to programmed data.
Hi: All employees have access to programmed data.
- HO: The use of compute has not cause unemployment.
Hi: The use of compute has cause unemployment
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significance of this study cannot be over-emphasis because of the nature of modern day organizations. It is embarked on to poultry the importance of computer of an organization with peculiar reference to modern accounting system. These importance are stated down below:
- The importance of this study is to make the accountants and the auditors realize that computer should not see as an enemy but rather as an aid to them and their business functions.
- This study is taken also, to remove the in conception that is conceal in the junior workers that computer introduction will bring about retrenchment of workers. This conception is a fallacy because without human being, computer cannot work.
iii. This research work will help to disclose the benefit of computerized accounting system with the understanding that if the third world countries of which Nigeria is one, undertaken this system, they can compute with the advanced countries.
- It will also help to see accuracy and efficiency of work as well as increased productivity.
Finally, this research work will also help other renders and researchers to widing their knowledge both academically, occupationally, socially and economically. It is a base for other research work.
1.7 SCOPE, LIMITATIONS, AND DELIMITATIONS OF STUDY
1.7.1 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This project is designed to cover the use of computer in recording accounting information by individuals, firms and government. But generally, business organizations were concentrated upon with a case study of Bendel feeds and flourmill, Edo state. However, particular attentions were to the following areas. i. Application and use of computer in financial accounting. ii. The use of electronic computer in management decision making. 20 iii. The advantages derived in the use of computer.
1.7.2 LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
It is the researcher’s desire to carry out an elaborate research work on the selected topic for accuracy, reliability and efficiency. Also as an indispensable data base for interested person or groups of persons. But the following difficulties brought limitation to be:
I. LACKS OF COOPERATION FROM THE RESPONDENTS:
The reluctance of the officers of the organization involved to attend to the researcher limited the researcher in getting full details.
Inadequate finance was a core problem for the researcher and this adversely delayed the progress of the work.
Some information needed by the researcher is tagged "Confidential” and this limited him from getting the information.
The time available to complete and submit this research work is too short; as such the researcher is limited to elaborate research.
The research work on the use of computer in recording accounting information would have cover the importance it has contributed to individuals, firms and government but, due to time availability, finance, strenuous academicals, works all these sectors mentioned were not reached, therefore, the researcher is limited to only business organization [firms] with a case study of Bendel feeds and flour mill, Ewu, Benin city.
1.7 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This project is designed to cover the use of computer in recording accounting information by individuals, firms and go Vermont. But generally, business organizations were concentrated upon with a case study of Bendel feeds and flourmill, Edo state.
However, particular attention were to the following areas.
- Application and use of computer in financial accounting.
- The use of electronic computer in management decision making.
iii. The advantages derived in the use of computer.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
- DATA: This is unstructured raw fact that provide the necessary input to produce information.
- INPUT: Data introduced into authority data processing machine from an external source.
- OUTPUT: An item emitted from an automatic data processing machine.
- COMPUTER: This is an electronic device or data processing machine and its auxiliary component capable of accepting, processing recording and supplying information in according with a programm data.
- PROGRAM: A sequence of instructions designed to solve a problem.
- FEEDBACK: A process of returning portions of the results of an operation.
- SOURCE: A document used for initial recording of data relating to business transactions.
- LOCATION: An address in memory.
- BATCH: A number of records or document grouped together for the purpose of processing as a single unit.
- No [ [ ]l>
- Get the Complete Project